Monday, July 24, 2006

Taken advantage of...naturally.

Sorry for the long rant, everyone. But it's almost 11 pm, and I'm at my wits end. Ready to cry. I feel so torn.

I got the promotion at work. And I still want it, I'm still excitied. But only because I know that I can do awesome things for the store, and make it more fun for the younger kids to work there. I want to do that.

But I feel like the manager, my boss, is taking advantage of me already. When we discussed this promotion, we talked at length about my schedule. I volunteered one night a week. One. She literally giggled, she was so excited. She wasn't even expecting me to do one. So I got brownie points. And she assured me that, if I closed one night, she wouldn't schedule me to open the next day. Yay!

So I look at my schedule this week and lo and behold....she schedules me 2 nights. AND I'm opening the day after BOTH nights!!

So, here's my week. I worked tonight til 10:30, I open tomorrow at 6:30 am. School tomorrow night until 10:00. Repeat. So I literally only have 8 hours between shifts for the rest of the week.

Yeah, I know, I probably shouldn't bitch too much, but this is exactly what she said she wouldn't do to me. Plus, I'm in college. I'm supposed to be having fun. i still haven't gone out and celebrated my birthday with friends, because of work and school. My entire life is far too serious. I have nothing at all to look forward to for weekends, school vacations....I'm just not like everyone else.

I feel like I'm being taken advantage of already. I have no idea what to do. I'm on the verge of crying right now, out of sheer frustration. How do you handle something like this? Especially with a boss who I love....she's so sweet, so nice, and she really does treat each of us with respect and she tries to make our jobs fun. But I don't think she understands that I want this to be a part time job...not my life. I have Brent to take care of, school to focus on, and a childhood that is slipping away before my eyes.

WWYD?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Rainne. I'm so sorry that you feeling this way. I haven't got any advice, but I do want you to hang in there. It will get better.

Anonymous said...

Well for one you are not a child, your childhood is over, welcome to the adult world full of responsiblitities, suck it up, at least you have a job, there are many that don't. Quit being a cry baby!

Anonymous said...

Tell her outright that the schedule is not what was agreed to.

Strange thing that popped out to me is I think 3 different times you talk about fun and work. Umm in the grown up world work and fun are not always in the same sentence.