Friday, May 12, 2006

Pockets, zippers, pouches, little hidden compartments, organizers and even a compact mirror. A pouch just big enough for my camera. And this one with buttons! That one with buckles! There's denim and cordorouy, cotton and mesh. Pink or black or purple or green.

I can't get enough of purses. Bags, sachels, sacks, carry-alls; whatever you fancy calling them. They call me. I can't walk past the purse aisle in any store. There's a temptation to finger through each one of them, to feel their different textures and ruffle up the fabrics; to poke at all their decorations and sort through all the pockets.

I can't justify it by saying I need them. I can't match any of them with a particular outfit; not that I'd even want to, when the beauties speak for themselves independently of the outfit. I can't justify it, I won't justify it, I just need them.

There's a sense of security that comes with knowing that you can toss your entire life over your shoulder and be ready to go at a moment's notice.
Someone has a headache? I have asprin.
First Aid kit? Check.
Gotta have the camera. And four different kinds of hand lotion. Oh, you want chap stick too? Got it.
Make up bag. Check. MP3 player? Right here. Notepad and a vast assortment of pens? On hand at all times.

So there's a practical reason. And then there's just the look of envy on people's faces when they see the treasures that I have always at my disposal because of my trusty purse.

Or the intensity when I decide to change purses for the day. When I dump this one out, what long-forgotten treasures will I stumble upon? What lies at the bottom, waiting to be lovd again? There's no greater excitement than finding that Bonne Bell Cherry Vanilla lip gloss that looked so good on me a few months back, lying at the bottom of a pocket, just waiting to be my favorite again. And the change that falls out! Dunkin Donuts today, courtesy of the purse! Can life get any better than that?

No comments: